I love spring especially the way the flowers seem to suddenly appear. For March’s play dough set I wanted to bring some of that indoors because, let’s face it, the weather’s been a bit rubbish!! I was inspired my this Spring Play Dough Set from Mama Papa Bubba.
- Soil Play dough.
- I use this recipe from Counting Coconuts . If you’ve not bought it before, cream of tatar can be found in the baking section of any supermarket.
- To make it look like soil I waited until it was cool then kneaded in about a tablespoon of ground coffee. This has given it a really lovely grainy texture – but also means that it leaves bits of ground coffee everywhere.
- On my Facebook page people have also suggested using cocoa powder or making up a pot of coffee and using that instead of the water.
- Fake flowers. I got these from Wilkos and cut them up. This can leave a sharp edge so you might want to try and get individual flowers or tape the ends off.
- Plastic insects. We already had these Melissa and Doug ones. (This is an affiliate links which means if you click on the link and buy something I get a small advertising fee at no extra cost to you. )
- Plastic Bowls. I decided to use bowls instead of plant pots because I couldn’t find any coloured plant pots.
- Textured play dough rollers from The Dotty Dough Factory (This one isn’t an affiliate link – but I highly recommend their play dough and tools)
How did we get on?
Both children have really enjoyed playing with it. For E it was a good chance to talk about the changes in the seasons. We talked a bit about bulbs and seeds and about how different insects behave in the winter.
My house permanently smells of coffee which is obviously awesome 🙂