To be honest I don’t usually make new year’s resolutions in January. Probably because I went straight from being in education to educating others, I’ve always found that the beginning of a new school year is a good time to make changes rather than in the middle of winter.
But, I really liked an idea I saw on Under The Sycamore ‘s Facebook page. They make resolutions as a family and pop them in the stockings to find next Christmas. If you’ve been around for a little while you probably know I’m a bit obsessed with Christmas traditions and I particularly like getting all of the Christmas themed stuff out gradually over December so this seemed perfect for us.
Obviously if I was a decent blogger I’d have done this before new year’s day so you could find it and do it yourself ! Maybe some of you are as disorganised as me??
- Cut a six sided star out of a piece of coloured paper per person
- On each side write one of sentence starter I chose:
- In 2016 I loved …
- I want to go…
- I want to try… (I encouraged this to be about a new skill – E chose, ‘skating’ which was a bit random!!)
- I want to get better at…
- I want to do more…
- I want to do less… (This one was about bad habits – I chose, ‘playing on my phone’ – so far it’s not really sticking!)
You could leave them blank but I find children often find it easier write if there’s some structure provided.
- Gather a load of glitter, sequins, glue etc (this is obviously optional but it makes it seem fun 😉 )
We talked about about resolutions at the dinner table then sat and filled in our stars together. I was planning to write some for Little Miss but I think what she created is a good reflection of her at 18 months so I’m going to leave it as it is!
Have you set any resolutions as a family? I’d love to hear what you’ve done 🙂